Thursday, February 26, 2009

Spring is in the air...

(Springtime in Savannah)

and the spiders are soon to follow.

Last spring three crazy things happened to me in one week.

First, I was outside watching a movie on the computer one night. Well, I had consumed a few with girlfriends earlier, so I was feeling good, watching my movie and TOTALLY engaged. Well...my hand is hanging down and my cat runs under my hand. Then I realize my cat is in my lap. I look over...knocking tables, chairs, cat flying, scrambling to the stairs. Yep. Raccoon looking at me like I am crazy. Then for the next week I convinced myself I had a close call with a rabid raccoon! Looking back, he was probably just young.

Second... It is a pretty day so I have the doors open to air out the house. Well, they were building a McMansion across the street at the time. There were workers everywhere at all times. But that day, none. How did I know this? Because I went to move my vacuum and put it away, I accidentally dropped it. So I put it away, and walk back through the hall. I notice a HUGE brown fuzzy...flower? NO a tarantula that was under the vacuum when I dropped it. I desperately searched for someone to remove it. Even though dead, it took 2 hours to get a bucket on top, cast iron skillet on that, then some bricks for good measure. Paul came home from work to get it for me.

Third...I am pretty skittish at this point. I have just had an allergist appointment for J. He has an epi-pen for some of his allergies. One of these are bees and wasps. I had just set up the slip n slide. Went to get my tea, look up, and my little 3.5 year old in in the middle of a dozen of the biggest wasps I had ever seen! With stealth like movement I saved my baby. They turned out to be cicada killers. Harmless, but HUGE.



Cicada Killers.



Lets see what happens this year!

8 comments:

TG said...

Oh my god!!! They are so big!!! I dont like so much spring because I have a lot of allergies!!

Henley on the Horn said...

I have never heard of a cicada killer! YIKES!!! YUCK. I hope it wasn't a rabid raccoon. If it was night time, then you were probably safe.

Carly A. Heitlinger said...

Those things are SO loud! I hate them! At this one race course, they are literally everywhere... YUCK!

Seaside Prep said...

There are Cicada Killers at the Lake of the Ozarks where Surfer Boy's family has a lake house. Last summer, everyone was playing volleyball in their sand court when Surfer Boy fell over in pain... Apparently if you step on a Cicada Killer- they can give you a pretty powerful sting/bite! Ugh. I am so glad you saved your baby even though they are mostly harmless! :)

KK said...

Those huge things are GROSS! Your spider story reminds me of the day we had a 5 foot long rat snake on the back patio and hubby was in Vegas and I had to call like 5 neighbors before I could find a husband to come kill it!

Lisa said...

Ah I laughed SO hard because I would've had that happen to me, too... "critters" of all sorts used to join up on the screened porch before my Dad finally closed it in one season!

ms. mindless said...

OMG! i would have died at that spider. and the monster bugs.

caknitter said...

Those are the biggest bugs I've ever seen!! I'd freak too.